Spanish Language & Culture
Our Spanish program emphasizes basic language skills, a love of languages, and an understanding of Hispanic cultures. All students explore the cultural traditions, history, and geography of Hispanic countries and peoples.
- Preschool students learn simple vocabulary and conversation through games and songs.
- Younger elementary students expand their vocabulary and conversations skills and explore Hispanic culture more deeply.
- Older elementary students continue their cultural studies and Spanish conversation and begin to read and write Spanish as well.
- Middle school students expand their writing skills and verbal fluency and can earn high school level credit for Spanish I, II and III.
- Middle school students strengthen their language skills through community service by
teaching Spanish to preschool classes and working with our Bilingual Storytime program.
Bolivian Exchange Program
- Students from Colegio Domingo Savio in Santa Cruz spend 6 weeks in the fall living with Community School families, working with our students at all levels, and sharing their language, culture and customs with our entire school community.
- Our older middle school students can spend 4 weeks in the winter living with a Bolivian family, attending classes at Colegio Domingo Savio, and immersing themselves in the language and culture.
- Click here to see what students say about their Bolivian experience.
We offer Latin 1 for high school credit as an option in the last year of middle school. The class uses the Cambridge Latin Course and is designed to prepare students to enter Latin 2 in high school, regardless of the high school’s curriculum. The class also covers a variety of topics on Roman culture.